I went to The Ted tonight to see the Braves take on the Tigers. It was a pitchers’ duel. Kenny Rogers and John Smoltz. Rogers was making his first start of the season after a long stint on the DL. Among the highlights:
- John Smoltz became the Braves all-time strikeout leader. He passed Phil Neikro.
- Andruw Jones saw his average dip below the Mendoza line. Ouch.
- At one point late in the game, the scorekeeper actually lowered Kelly Johnson’s average (which was displayed on the BravesVision screen) one point — in the middle of an at bat! When Johnson came to the plate he was hitting .279, but after he took his second strike the scorekeeper dropped it to .278. Turned out the scorekeeper knew something we didn’t (but probably could have guessed). Johnson didn’t reach base.
- The Braves were shutout for the third game in a row.
- Attendance for the game was 44,000. Not bad. Think it had anything to do with the fact that it was “Fireworks Friday”? (answer: absolutely)
- Bobby Cox came out to argue a call after the umpire called Magglio Ordonez safe on a play at the plate. If Cox had been thrown out he would have set the record for most ejections of all time. But he kept his cool. I’m guessing he didn’t want to steal Smoltz’s thunder.
- Andruw Jones unveiled a new chinstrap beard. I will absolutely make it my mission to find a photo of this and blog about it further.