• Rickt: I am the biggest Cal Jr fan around but one of my good friends played minor l...

Bobby CrosbyToday, Athletics Nation constructs “a parallel universe where everything is about the same as this one, except Rich Harden’s body actually holds up, and when you put two socks into the dryer you get two back.”

The blog imagines a scenario where the A’s compete in the AL West and are buyers at the trade deadline instead of sellers.

Sounds crazy, right?

Yeah, I thought so, too. But then U.S.S. Mariner comes along and runs a bunch of computer simulations and determines that the 2008 Oakland Athletics are the favorites to win the AL West.

From U.S.S. Mariner:

The division favorite was not the Angels but the torn-down Athletics, 47% to 42%, and Texas won the division almost as often as the M’s. The A’s-Angels thing is as much a shock as anything. General analyst-on-TV-or-radio seems to be that it’s all about the M’s-Angels, but Oakland fields the best pitching/defense combination in the AL and their offense is decent too.

the masterOf course, preseason computer projections take for granted that a team’s players will be healthy. And the A’s have been anything but in recent years. We’re talking about guys like Rich Harden, Eric Chavez and Bobby Crosby. If all three of them stay healthy it will be a miracle.

Still, let’s take a moment and contemplate the A’s. This team, which finished ten games below .500 last season and traded its best pitcher and star CF in the offseason, is a favorite — if only in the world of computer projections.

That’s just a little bit amazing, isn’t it?

I think we can all agree that if the A’s find a way to win the division this season, Billy Beane will need to be bumped to the top of this list. And he’ll probably need some kind of new title. “General manager” just won’t cut it any more. I’m thinking something with a little more flair. Maybe “jedi talent assessor” or “master of player acquisition.”

And if the A’s tank this season and finish in last place … well, that’ll just prove once and for all that you can’t trust a computer.

7 Responses to “Computers love the A’s”

  1. Sarah Green says:

    How about “hardball ninja” or “supreme swami of the hot stove”?

  2. Yeah, I saw that USS Mariners post too. And you know what the amazing part is? I believe that that computer projection maybe actually *did* take injuries into account, because it used the ZiPS projections, which not only project a players stats, but projects games played as well, based on prior injury history. To make that computer not say that the A’s would be a slight favorite, that guy had to go in and forcibly disable Rich Harden and other players for the whole year.

  3. Hey love the posts. All very interesting. Check out my stuff.

    http://www.sammonroe.net

    do you by chance write on armchairgm?

  4. Nick, that’s crazy. I totally misunderstood that USS Mariner post. I thought he had to disable Harden b/c the computer didn’t take injuries into account.

    None of us writes for armchairgm, Sam.

  5. Nick Kapur says:

    Yeah, I think it just goes to show that the A’s are actually still going to have an okay team, despite the trades. A lot of people are saying the A’s are going to lose 100 games this year, but I don’t see it. Billy Beane is not just running random guys out there – he actually has got reasonable major-league level players at every position, and several young guys who still have upside. And while I could easily see Chavez, Crosby, and Harden being injured all year again, at the same time it is also not entirely inconceivable that one or more of them could actually come back and have a good year. Plus, there is Beane’s talent for finding spare parts through out the year.

    So yeah, computers can be wrong, and even if the computer is right, a 47% chance for the A’s to win the division still means there’s a 53% chance that they won’t, so if the A’s don’t win this year, it doesn’t even mean the computer was wrong. But it’s not like the A’s are going to be complete doormats in the AL West.

  6. Nick Kapur says:

    For what it’s worth, I went and looked up the 2008 ZiPS projections for Harden, Chavez, and Crosby. It doesn’t have any of them playing a whole season, but apparently they play enough that the A’s might contend.

    Harden is projected to make 15 starts, tossing 92 innings. Chavez is projected to play 131 games, and Crosby is projected to play in 94.

    What is also notable is that Jack Cust, Travis Buck, Daric Barton, Dan Johnson, Eric Chavez, Chris Denorfia, and Mark Ellis are ALL projected to put up OPS’s above last year’s league average for their positions, leaving only Crosby and Emil Brown to fall below average out of projected A’s starters. So yeah, it’s not like the A’s are going to be just throwing scrubs or AA players out there this year the way that, say, the Marlins did after their fire sales.

  7. I’m an abashed Jack Cust fan. And Daric Barton is so under the radar. But Mark Ellis really may be the most underrated player in the game. I feel like Dan Johnson never fulfills his expectations, though. Maybe this year.

Leave a Reply

    Recent Comments

    • Rickt: I am the biggest Cal Jr fan around but one of my good friends played minor league baseball in the Orioles...
    • HADAJUN: I wish for play in Japan. The death is regrettable.
    • David the okajima: was wondering if I related too this guy?
    • HaroldHecuba: Mike Mussina is EASTERN EUROPEAN, not Italian.
    • handsomerandyblackladdiebrad1953: Plus,Jackson’s Polo Grounds-heightened batting stats,when park-adjusted,make...

Marketplace

    Subscribe via email

    Enter your email address:

    Archives

What's Popular

Featured posts

220px-Bbwaa_logo_web

December 5, 2011

Will anybody get elected to the Hall of Fame this year?

Last week, we asked you to vote for who you would like to see enshrined in baseball’s Hall of Fame. The verdict? If it were up to UmpBump readers, nobody would make it in. The leading vote getter (so far) is Jeff Bagwell, who has 60% support. Of course, in the real voting, players need […]

January 5, 2011

Annual UmpBump Hall of Fame Balloting: 2011 Edition

In what has become an annual tradition, we here at UmpBump cast our ballots for the Hall of Fame on the eve of the announcements of the voting for the real Hall of Fame. Voters can vote for anyone ever who has been retired from baseball for at least five years and is not already […]

According to the internet, "The Little Napoleon" John McGraw was the greatest manager of all time.

October 19, 2010

Crowdsourcing the Greats: The Top 10 Managers of All Time

Now that we’ve looked at every position on the diamond, as well as relief pitchers, we are nearing the end of our “Crowdsourcing the Greats” series. But before we finish, let’s turn one more time to the internet hoi polloi for answers on who the greatest baseball manager of all time was. As usual, we […]